Job Title: Manager, Application Services
Department: IT - Information Technology
Reports to: Director, Applications Services
Location: Currently, North York, ON
Spring 2018: Moving to 22 Adelaide St W, Toronto
Manage a team of application developers to provide project, production and enhancement support of existing applications as well as for application development initiatives. Responsible for analysis, evaluation, solutioning, resourcing, development, testing and implementation of applications. Continually demonstrate strong skills in:
• Consulting, collaborating, and communicating with the business
• Analysis, developing ideas and potential solutions for complex business challenges
• Quick learning for deep knowledge of the specific areas of support
• Software development and moderate to complex database scripting
• Ability to prepare presentation and clear working materials; joint technology and business roadmaps
• Plan, manage, implement and control multiple concurrent development and maintenance projects for the business
• In-depth knowledge of business applications pertaining to specific business domain
• Drive to provide quality results, including participation in application development
1. Deliver solutions (50%)
Consult with stakeholders to define opportunities, detail objectives, and prepare solutions.
Proactively propose projects and solutions which offer potential business value.
Consult with business to identify and clarify requirements for requests and initiatives, develop detailed solutions, deliver on new initiatives, enhancements, and improvements to existing applications.
Prioritize, resource, lead the team and deliver on project and maintenance commitments.
2. Support team (20%)
Manage team of application developers providing business, technical and application challenges and guidance. Escalate issues to manager. Facilitate and collaborate in problem solving and solutions design. Participate as a development resource as appropriate, ensuring delivery and leveraging personal technical skills. Foster strong teamwork.
3. Improve Efficiencies and Effectiveness (20%)
Complete projects and initiatives by coordinating resources and timetables with business, project managers and your manager. Assign projects to team members. Monitor progress and report status. Assess results to ensure requirements are met. Keep management and business updated on progress.
Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for IT and for your team. Ensure efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures. Recommend improvements. Analyze business systems to identify inadequacies, inefficiencies and problems and recommend solutions. Implement system changes through automation, process change, removing redundancies, utilizing available tools and techniques and training.
4. Talent and Team Leadership (10%)
Employ the best talent, driving superior results.Improve skills & performance of IT by providing ongoing coaching, feedback and development. Conduct performance reviews and salary administration for those reporting directly to you. Retain and motivate key talent needed to run and develop our business. Ensure the right people are in the right jobs doing the right work. Ensure that everyone has a clear understanding of their role and how they contribute to the department & company. Demonstrate & role model the guiding principles of the organization. Create a winning culture where the team is engaged, growing and performing to their full potential.
• Post-secondary Education in Computer Science/Data Processing
• 5+ years of management experience in IT field with a focus on team development and growth
• High level of competency with relational Database modeling, SQL scripting and SQL Server Reporting
• Good oral, written, organizational and interpersonal communications skills
• Competencies and skills required to perform this job include listening, communication, planning,
teamwork, analytical and critical thinking, solution design and problem-solving. Additional competencies
required for this position include ability to pay close attention to detail, creativity and customer focus
• Publishing experience an asset
Harlequin is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Harlequin is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.