Job Title: Proofreader (3 mo contract)
Reporting To: Manager, Proofreading Services
To ensure that all materials published by Harlequin are delivered to the printer or online retailer without spelling, grammar or typographical errors, meeting all editorial house style and typesetting standards.
1. Proofreads manuscripts using InDesign, checks and corrects spelling, grammar, continuity, formatting, word breaks and adherence to house style standards. Checks coding of all running heads, chapter openings and time breaks to ensure they are consistent with specific series. Ensures a high-quality product is produced after copyediting stage.
2. Verifies and corrects mistakes or changes highlighted by freelancer, author or editor on galleys. Checks final version for broken text or spaces to ensure book quality. Ensures that material is ready to print by checking continuity of the repaginated book.
3. Proofreads ancillary material including covers, prelims, back-page ads and promotional material, checking and correcting spelling and grammar to ensure a high-quality product is produced. Verifies that correct ISBN numbers and prices have been prepared for front and back covers for all English and Spanish books. Corrects as necessary.
4. Inserts corrections in epubs; performs quality check to ensure formatting and house style standards are maintained.
Specific training and job experience required for this position include:
• Post-secondary diploma/degree in publishing and/or experience in publishing.
• Knowledge of InDesign.
Competencies & Skills:
Competencies and skills required to perform this job include excellent writing and grammar skills, functional knowledge (publishing, editing, typography), keyboarding skills, a critical eye for detail, ability to concentrate, ability to work independently and as a team player, and ability to meet critical deadlines.
Harlequin is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Harlequin is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.